So happy today to finally get my potatoes in the ground!
It wasn’t the best spring day – I had resigned myself to housework tasks as it rained off and on all morning. But then it seemed to clear somewhat and even be reasonably warm… took a risk and went outside!
Normally I would like to dig this in and leave it a week… but I am too impatient now to just get stuff done.
I redug the plot and sprinkled the blood and bone in
Then made a bit of a grid pattern with an old broken gardening tool
I tend to leave my potatoes uncovered until I have planted them all – basically so I know where they are and I don’t trample them
I used up all the seed potatoes and moved on to the leftover potatoes in the shed that are trying to grow
Plot number one held 54 plants.
Moving on to plot number two…
I had to rake back all the seaweed then weed a little bit – but not much as the seaweed did a grand job of suppressing most of the weeds.
Then had to dig it over, then dig in the blood and bone before planting
I managed to squeeze in another 40 potatoes here.
I was digging up magnificent worms!
The sad little peanut gallery waited in vain for worm treats. (I only threw them worms that I accidentally broke – I prefer them in the garden working for me and the chooks get enough good food anyway!)
We really need to mow! Beginning to lose chickens! I suppose we will get around to it when we get a few days of sun in a row so it dries out a bit!
In a fit of enthusiasm I dug up a third plot and dug through some more blood and bone. I think my beetroot will eventually go here.
Happy to do a decent days work… although I am feeling it now in my limbs!!
Hope you all had a great day too!